Updated: Jan 19
This one was a little experiment from me. I've never paired hummus with pasta, and it seems kinda strange that I haven't since it goes with bread so well.
I am so glad I did though, because it went down a treat. Mediterranean inspired dishes are always yummy and so nutritious because of the use of healthy oils, like olive oil and plenty of colourful vegetables. This one is vegan too!
In this dish, I used aubergines, spinach and tomatoes, then sprinkled it with toasted pine nuts at the end.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
2 tbsp olive oil
1 aubergine, sliced
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 tub of hummus
100g of linguine
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 large shallot, diced
1 large handful of spinach
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Salt & pepper
Toasted pine nuts to serve.
1) Heat the olive oil in a pan, then fry the aubergine and tomato slices until soft.
2) Meanwhile, add linguine to boiling water and cook as instructed.
3) Once the aubergines are soft and brown on the outside, add the shallots and sauté until soft.
4) Add the spinach and basil, then season with salt and pepper.
5) Once the spinach has wilted, add the crushed garlic.
6) Add the tub of garlic to the vegetables, with the lemon and mix together.
7) When ready, drain the linguine and retain 1/2 mug of pasta water to add to the sauce.
8) Mix the pasta water, linguine and hummus sauce together.
9) Top with basil, toasted pine nuts and any seasoning you like!